2.15.2009

Extra Two!: The Apparent Exodus

Upon logging in in the morning, nubi was troubled. He saw, to his dismay, that a few of his good friends had vanished in the way that only meant Banishment, and others seemed to not be logging in anymore. This was obviously due to the new Limitation, as discussed in the previous Extra. Once again, he sought solace with the Master.

"Master, many of my best friends on Digg are gone! How will I ever overcome this setback in my quest for the Front Page?"

"What do you mean quest for the front page? The reason to Digg is not to seek the Front Page, nubi. You must look for the deeper truth... the truth of the good Story."

"Yet those who submitted some of my favorites are gone!"

"You still have their IM contacts, don't you? Their Twitter accounts? Their Stumbleupon and Reddit accounts?"

"Well, yes..."

"Then perhaps you should use that, to get those stories."

"Then why am I still on Digg, if so many have gone?"

"Perhaps it is to keep the good stories alive, in the memory of those banned, and those who have walked away."

By this, nubi was enlightened.

However, the Master continued, even after noticing his apprentice's enlightenment. "Soon, you should learn of the other venues of Social Media as well."

"But you just told me I should stay on Digg."

"And you should. However, Digg may be losing some of its strength, while others gain strength. So, it is time that you chose another path to follow next."

"I have already thought about this, Master." The Master looked surprised, but allowed nubi to continue uninterrupted. "I wish to learn the way of Reddit."

"Then I should learn that way too, nubi. I will teach you as I learn, trying my best to stay one step ahead of you."

"May I also share those conversations with others, Master? Like I do these?"

"Of course. Knowledge should be free."

By this, nubi was truly enlightened.


Look forward to Volume Two of "Zen and the Art of Digg", "Zen and the Art of Reddit", to be released as soon as the "Zen and the Art of Digg" arc is complete.

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be looking forward to the Reddit tutorial. I'm still at a sub-Nubi level of knowledge about Digg, and that dwarfs my knowledge of Reddit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nubi and the master should also learn the ways of Mixx. Mixx is closer to digg than Reddit is. Plus the community is way cooler.

    ReplyDelete