2.10.2009

Part One: Digg Friends

The Master had logged in for the day, to both Digg and his IM client, when he noticed a request to add him to IM, as well as the 150 shouts and 9 fan requests he woke up to. The request was from someone called "nubi576@gmail.com". He chuckled and typed, after accepting, "welcome to my list of Diggers. Who might you be on Digg?"

nubi replied "I'm nubi on Digg. Hi."

"Hi. Why do you seek me out, nubi?"

"I seek you out because I enjoy your stories."

"Good. I see that you have indeed Dugg them. As it is part of the Way of Digg to teach your friends to be better Diggers, I will gladly teach you the Way of Digg. What would you like to know?"

"I can't seem to get a story to the front page. I have 500 friends, I digg their stuff, I shout my stories to everyone..."

"500 friends is far too many. You are likely wasting your time on most of them. Have you looked at who Diggs your stories, and who does not?"

"I never thought of that... I just assumed that they dugg my stuff."

"And does every story you Digg get 500 Diggs?"

"No! I've never had that many!"

"Then perhaps you need better friends. Try starting out by clearing out all of them, then re-adding those that actually dugg your stories, even if they weren't friends before."

"How will I manage this task, Master?"

"By clicking. A lot."

By this, nubi was enlightened.

7 comments:

  1. Yep - it does take a lot of clicking!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This is my friggin' day in a nutshell!

    -EDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm obvious but sadly I neglected to do this. Lightbulb or what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just learning the art of Digg, myself (although I've gotten three of my submissions to the front page since Jan 15th, for an 8% "popular" ratio, so I've had some luck.

    Anyway, do you know if comments (and the diggs on those have an effect on how far the story goes, and if so, how much of an effect?

    Also, is the sheer number of diggs less important than how suddenly they accumulate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @45superman: Comments do seem to have a positive effect, but it is minor. Diggs/Time is likely more important than Diggs. I address the algorithm more fully in a later article (I've already written much farther than have been posted).

    I'm glad you are enjoying my posts; they were written for you, my friends on Digg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff. I've just discovered digg entourage and it's really making shorter work of all this. Still a lot of clicking though...

    ReplyDelete